7-7 An investigation and a happy ending

Last night we went to bed with two children with raging fevers, and puke buckets next to beds.  NOT a favorite time of mine, this mid-summer flu. . . YUCK 
I had decided last night to call off our home-supervisors visit that was scheduled for this morning, but was having a hard time getting through to her.  NOT her fault, she is WONDERFUL to answer anytime of the night or day, but my dumb phone, erg. Anywho, I couldn't get ahold of her, but the weather was SO gorgeous with the delicious clouds covering the sky. (read that in one of my favorite blogs today, delicious clouds.)  Perfect weather for a cup of hot tea and a little devotional before the kids all started to wake up.  Then came the phone call.  I'm honestly ashamed that that one call made my morning spiral from glorious to terrified.  But there it is. 
"Hi, this is (blank) from (a distant county).  I'm calling in response to 3 calls we received alleging child abuse in your home."  Literally my heart fell into my stomach, THUD. "Oh,"  I say, "ok."  "Yes Ma'am, I have 4 business hours to respond in your home, so I will be heading down there immediately." Wow, you could have knocked me over with a feather. "I will be sequestering and interviewing (interrogating), each of your children seperately, expect this to take about an hour per child." I break out in a sweat.  Interviewing my children? Sequestered?  Picking apart her whole phrase and panicking over each individual part. "That is fine" I hear myself say. "I understand you have a job to do." Where did this calm come from?  I'm panicking inside, thinking of every possible exit strategy. "However, I need to warn you that three of our five are throwing up, and running fevers." The truth, maybe she will feel sorry for me, THREE of them are puking in the back-ground. "Very well," she says, "I hear that from alot of people, and if you won't let me in, I will just return with a Sherriff."  Ugh, "Ok, I'm just warning you, you are welcome to come."  Ta-da!  I didn't sound like I was on the verge of tears!  YAY!
I call our pastor's wife, a favorite in my small circle.  Tell her what was said, and she says, "Ok, let me pray with you real quick."  She prays for peace and I cry.  She prayed that the investigator will have their eyes opened to the truth in our home.  She prays a hedge of protection around our home, and our family.  What a blessing she is in my life!!!!  Another friend sends me three or four of our favorite verses.  A gentle encouragement to trust Him with all of it.  LOVE you!!!
Our Home Supervisor comes, ready to help me tidy up a bit, with calming words, and a gentle smile she makes me feel like it will be alright.  She assures me that this is par for the course, a rite of passage for foster parents. I make us English muffins and preserves, with hot tea.
We wait.
Another phone call, and we find out that our case has been transfered to another county.  So we sit and talk, David comes home and cleans.  He cleans, I eat.   :-D
More waiting.
We order pizza with salad, and those who aren't puking sit and eat and chat and you can feel the tension leaving the house.  David takes all the children back to the room, turns on some cartoons, and the air conditioner and starts quiet time.
                            I cook some more.  :-D   These are a family favorite, and SO comforting. 
                We turn on the TV, and laugh at the antics of another family, scripted and laugh tracked.
I lit all the candles in the family room and dining area.  Not because it's chilly, though the sky is still gray.  But to warm my heart.  To remind myself that this is not a holding cell, with strangers.  This is my home, and I have guests that I want to reflect the Lord to.
8 and 1/2 hours after that first heart dropping call, the investigator arrives.  She is young, wearing comfortable clothes and low tennis shoes.  She looks at Alex, talks to us a little, and decides that there is no threat here.  She will return for the formal interviews of our children that she explains will only be a few minutes, on Tues.  And my heart begins to calm.  God is still on the throne.  He is still the one that sifts the things and people that come into our lives, and tonight I am grateful.  A sweet friend called me tonight to offer a Starbucks run.  SO sweet.  I can not tell you how much I appreciate the wonderful people that God has brought into our lives to come alongside and encourage.
This is Abi Leigh making baby Isaac "laugh like a human".  (her words)  :-D  hahaha
                     This is my husbands way of telling me how much he loves me.  He is my Honey.






holy experience

Comments

  1. Oh how terrifying. Praising our King tonight for His protection over your little family. Praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im praying for all of you guys!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle~ I want to let you know that I have been through that fear not as a parent but as a child (an older child but a child just the same) and it is a terrifying feeling knowing the fate of your family is resting in the hands of another person. I am truly sorry you had to go through this and I will continue to pray that God will direct your path. And don't forget He holds the heart of the king in His hand and directs it where He wills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys. It was an ordeal. BUT, God has brought some REALLY great people into our lives, and is using this to refine us, and teach me to trust Him first.
    Thank you guys for praying!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are going to be present when she interviews your children, right? And does she have a legal right to do that? Have you researched what your rights are? I know that there are certain things that you have to do with foster children but I would suppose there are different rights for your own children; look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Danielle, this post just made me cry. You are such a blessing and It really upsets me that this would happen to you. I know how easily it can happen and thats why I get so upset that parents like you and dear David are not trusted. Your post made me cry because I could feel the tension of such a moment and then I felt the Holy Spirit calm my heart as I read on and I could see the Lord's hands on your dear precious family. Oh how much He loves you all. I just love you all too and I will keep you in my prayers through out the day.
    LOVE YOU SO MUCH
    ~Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I saw "investigation my heart stopped!

    My goodness! What a day. I am so glad I was praying for you yesterday. And I will continue to pray. Love you so much Danielle!

    ~Elizabeth

    P.S. I love what David bought you! Thats what Im talking about! :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, pretty scary stuff.
    You girls are great though! I knew I could count on you to cover my day when I was having a hard time putting two thoughts together.
    Isn't the snack just the best????!!!! After 11yrs together, he knows the way to my heart! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Danielle, what a difficult day this must have been for you. It is hard not to feel upset with the way that woman spoke to you. I often have to remind myself that we "we wrestle not against flesh and blood", and press in to the peace of the Holy Spirit. But I know that it is very difficult when these battles hit us so close to our hearts. You handled everything so well Danielle. Those children are truly blessed to be with you and David. They will have an imprint of family love touching their lives forever. Keep up the great work. I continue to pray peace, wisdom and a hedge of protection over you and David and the children.
    Much love,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miss Pam~
    Your comments are so so great! What an encouragement you are! It is absolutely true that the biggest battles are fought in the heavenly realms. Thank you, thank you for praying for us!!! Trey has started to pray a hedge of protection around the house at night too. He explained to David that it is part of his "Once Over". (a way that David is teaching to take responsibility in keeping us safe)
    Thank you for taking the time to spend with my family. You are such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts