March 24 School and a wild fire

This morning we got up and started school early.  Funnily enough the social studies part was about map making!  We are using a great curriculum called Weaver.  It its an integrated study, which I love!  (we all learn the same material, just to varying degrees.)  Abi being in Kindergarten made a map of her room. Benji and Trey did more of an overview of the whole house.
Abigail worked diligently on hers. Making beds complete with pillows and spreads. Even her rug was included, stripe by stripe.
Benji and Trey had box like homes. With doors and stairs.

After school and lunch I put everyone down for quiet time. Quiet time is a tricky thing right now. I have thee that really need a break mid-day, and two that really just find the process annoying.  So if I let the oldest two plady during writer time the younger middle ones are sad.  What I've been doing is separating them. The boys in the family room, they can draw, play quietly, etc. The two middle kiddos go to the back bedroom and can watch a movie quietly, the problem there is that there's no big kid in there now to reign in the middle two. Oh well.  Se la vie
About half way through quiet time I get a call from our therapist. "Are you ok?", she blurts.  "Um, yeah, are you?"  I thought I was being funny.  :-D  "Turn on your tv, you dork, there's a fire near your house!"  Now she had my attention. Sure enough there was a wildfire about four miles from our house.  They evacuated 8500 homes and covered it on the news for hours!   With our new van I feel like I am prepared for anything, there is food, diapers, extra clothes, etc... But I did go and get our wedding pictures and include them in our traveling "emergency kit".  
The next morning they had the wildfire under control, praise ther Lord there was no loss of life or property. Over a thousand acres was blackened.

Sent from myTouch 4G

Comments

  1. I have been hearing about the wildfires... with all this wind, it isn't surprising. So glad your all ok. I think I would probably have gone to get my pictures too.

    Oh, speaking of nap times, I always had the kids take a nap all the way until.... well I don't know, it went from nap time to rest time and to this very day all the big kids still like their quiet time. Nathan still insists on a little quiet time to himself in the afternoon when he's home....I think it makes Himilce a little crazy (although she's a good sport about it), but I think it goes back to those days. I always needed my quiet time in order to stay sane, so that was why... and so I completely sympathize with your dilema. Smile.
    Love ya lots,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha, that made me laugh about Nathan and Himilce! I know when david went back to work full time after being home with the children he really missed that nap time! ;-) I don't usually get to sleep myself, and it seems like lately there have been here during that same time of day but it is still a necessary time of day! :-) It makes me smile to think of little Marie and Elizabeth on their beds whispering during quiet time. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts