Aug 4th Face-book-ing

To facebook, or not to facebook... That is the question... Today. ;-)

My decision to go "off-grid" has been met with some interesting comments. I have been sent links to blogs talking about the lack of privacy, the voyeur-istic nature, the average age of face-book-ers.
I have gleaned some interesting facts.
*Facebook has been sued numerous times for sharing personal information.
*Out of 400 million users 7.5 million are under 13yrs old, 5 million of those are under 10yrs old!
*1 in 5 divorce papers claim facebook ruined their marriage.

That being said, I met one of my best friends, re-connected with my best friend from high school, had a close friend un-friend me, all on facebook.

I don't think facebook is bad. I do think it contributes to making lazy friends, poor communicators and stalkers. ;-) But it's not bad on it's own. :-D

I have been face-book fasting the same way I food fast. Indulging in something else, the "blog-o-sphere".

I have been noticing some strange thought patterns in myself though. A desire to tell 200 of "my closest friends" what I'm making for dinner. Wondering what anyone else thinks of having a movie marathon. Hoping that a friend's dog was found.

I'm not committing to being off facebook permanently, but I am taking a break from it. I had a friend tell me, "Some people are just not strong enough to be on facebook." (I don't think they meant it to be rude...) I was trying to explain this to David the other day, he made a good point. Who are people posting for? Do those people feel that loved in real life or just online?

I am looking forward to hearing what y'all think.

Comments

  1. I don't have a problem with Facebook. I have so many friends who live too far away and it's a great way to keep in touch.

    I don't post what I'm making for tea, or what I think about totally random things. I don't post for comments, but to keep friends and family updated on whats happening now and again.

    I'm not sure I get the problem with stalkers either, as if you have all your settings as friends only then they shouldn't be able to see your stuff.

    Just my thoughts. I do prefer my blog though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi kirsteen!
    I prefer my blog too.
    I was just teasing about it creating stalkers.
    I will probably go back to facebook, but for now it's a nice little break. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not much of a facebooker.... but I appreciate what Kirsteen said. Quite often when the girls and I get together, we get on facebook together, just to get caught up on everyone's pictures, which I thoroughly enjoy, but the rest of it I don't really enjoy... I guess I have seen alot of things said unkindly to other people, and even the de-friending issue is something I have seen and can't understand. Offense runs rampant, and I prefer the peaceful setting of the blog; but that's just me. All of my kids and kids in law get on facebook, and I don't have a problem that they do.. Olga even set me up on facebook, but I can never remember my password and so have never formed the habit of getting on. Oh well, it is very interesting to say the least. Love you lots,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts