Pulling weeds

Do you know the definition of a weed?
It can literally be ANY plant that is growing where it shouldn't be!
In the truest sense of the word, a beautiful Rose can be growing amongst the Irises and it is a weed!
This last month or so, we have been walking with a friend, through a very difficult situation. Feelings were hurt, hearts broken, trusts betrayed. It's been rough. As is true in any difficult situation everyone has some responsibility. And walking through this time has made us very aware of "our" responsibility. (David's and mine). Simply put, it is to put God first. To love as Christ loves. To forgive as Christ forgives. And to encourage our friend to do the same.
Sounds good, doesn't it!?!
Knowing what needs to be done and doing it are two totally different animals. I found myself getting a little prickly when names brought up. Felt myself "steeling" for the next "offense" toward our friend.
Then came an opportunity I wasn't expecting. An opportunity to serve. *flashback to an earlier time in my life. Sitting in a conference with my family, taking notes and wearing our navy and whites. "Investing in people you struggle with is always the right thing to do."
*flash forward to pulling three acres of weeds surrounding a property. My children taking turns walking the babies in the stroller. My young men sweating out in the sun with me, talking about video games, and favorite foods.
I am blessed, our family is healthy, whole and able to invest in others. Our children are learning from our example, whether good or bad. By His grace our good examples will take root in their lives, and our bad will be weeded out.










Comments

Popular Posts