Give Me A Sign


Sometimes having special needs children is so....
Funny....
Confusing......
Hilarious.....
Illuminating. 



It's 8:45pm...15min until our "pumpkin hour".
The phone rings, and it's our Daddy.

"I'm stuck on the side of the road, the truck has given up the ghost.
Can you come with the van and jumper cables?"

I jump into rescue mode. 

We throw T-shirts over diapers and shoes without socks and hop in the van.

5min in, "WHOAH MOM!!! Did you see that?"
Instinctively I let up on the gas pedal, hyper alert.
"What? What was it Gabe?"
"I think it was an animal... some kind of animal."

This really doesn't come as any shock. 
So I step back on the pedal and continue. 

"Where was the animal?"

"It was there on the side of the road. Up on that sign!"

Ohhhhhhh, the pieces are coming together. 

So I explain, it's a sign, there are animals in the area..
yada yada yada 

"WHAT???? They paint the sign with his blood?"

"What?? NO!!!"
(I may have said that a little too loudly... cuz he continued softly)

"But you just said there was an animal on that sign."

"No no, HE wasn't on the sign, they painted it with paint."

"Oh"

"They painted it to keep us safe, so that we drive careful and watch for deer."

"What?? There was a deer?? WHERE??" 


Some signs we understand for the warnings they represent. 


Some we understand because of experience and cues of the road.



There are also signs that everyone recognizes.
Even if you change the language you still understand.




Some signs aren't written out in the familiar yellow and white, but with each child we learn to recognize their individual signals. 

I LOVE Facebook memories. 
Lately it has been reminding me of a time, just 12 months ago, where our children were displaced. Most of them were sharing rooms that were only designed for one or two. 

When things are hectic, and I feel more out of control than usual, I "circle the wagons". 

I can see in my devotionals and facebook posts that I was looking for a "sign".

I'm not talking about laying out a fleece, and asking for a sign from the Lord. 
(Judges 6:37)

I've always loved that story.  What did his wife think about her nice clean fleece being laid out on the threshing floor overnight???

I'm talking in this instance about a sign about what to expect. 
But I think now that it is a mercy that wr don't know sometimes. 
He only asks that we TRUST. 
Any control that I'm trying to regain by asking for fore-knowledgge is only an illusion anyway. 


Think how you would respond if you saw this sign?? 

I would do a lot more than let off the gas a little. 

I'd full on lock up the wheels! 

He's so good to just give us GRACE for today. 


We are so grateful for the miraculous ways He has provided for our family in this last year.  
He keeps proving himself faithful. 

Facebook Memories,  you are a great reminder to trust the Lord.  

Do you ever look back on your old posts on social media? 



Comments

Popular Posts