I Can't Adult Today...but I did!



Have you seen this sign? 

It cracks me up. 

Wouldn't it be amazing if you could hit the snooze on "adulting"? 

"Ya know, I think I'm just not feeling this adult thing today.  Maybe after a few days we could try again, but for today, I'm going to be 10. Before puberty strikes. Before that first job. Before you decided to change the world."

HA! 

"Adult" happens to the best of us, and your only choice is in how you face it. 

Personally speaking, I rocked the adult thing today. 

We had therapy, which we all had smiles at the end of. 

I DIDN'T put the unfolded laundry back in the basket. I folded that giant pile. 

I conquered a dish full of dishes that could prune your hands just by looking at it! 

I fed, bathed and generally kept alive all the tiny humans. 

We even read a little book before bed! 

I Adulted Hard Core! 

So, after dinner, I made myself a snack. 
A little reward. 
A chocolate pat on the back. 

If you "adulted" today, or if you hit the snooze button on life, these are great way to end the day. 

Here's how I make mine. 


Ok ok 
So it starts with a boxed mix. 
I'm an adult, I can admit that! 



The instructions call for 1/4c of water, 1/3c of oil, and an egg. 

NO! 

Put down the oil. 
YUCK. 
Butter baby. Butter is where it's at. 
So, 5Tbs of butter instead.

And I'll tell you a little secret. ALWAYS ADD AN EXTRA EGG!!!! 
They are still rich and decadent, but a little fluffy. 
(it's what all the foodie bloggers do) 

Then, lay down some parchment paper, and try to wrangle that rolly stuff like a pro-wrestler until you get the batter in it. 
(Seriously, if you know a better way to make the paper lay down and act right...
let me know!)

Before you snip the edge of the caramel packet, add a cup of chopped pecans and a cup of chopped chocolate chips. 

THEN snip the edge of the caramel an drizzle it on top. 

They will take an hour to bake at 325* so now is a good time to run your bath and read to the kids. 

Mine smelled it cooking and had to be sated with a few chocolate chips before they relented and went to their beds. 


TADA! 

The "I Adulted Today Reward Brownies".

Then, because I was home alone with the 5, I cut myself my favorite piece! 


And I took it to the tub and felt very fancy. 


This sign is in the window over my tub, so by the time I get to turning it on, and sinking into the bubbles, I HAVE adulted. But it still makes me happy. 

When I write I like to think about the people that might read this. 
Are you single? 
Newlywed?
Expecting your first baby?
Working from home?
Browsing pinterest for a new recipe? 
Did you wrangle a 4yr old trying to change his feeding tube while he tried to get away?
Are you working your business from home and looking for fun new ways to engage your friends?
I have friends that just announced their 6th pregnancy, and friends that had emergency c-sections. 

I am thinking about you tonight. 
I'm praying that as you "adult" tonight and tomorrow you feel encouraged, and if you try the reward brownies, let me know what you think! 


This bite is my toast to you. 
You did it. 
You can do it again tomorrow. 

And I just posted a naked-face picture on the interwebs, so, 
I'm sorry mom, but I'm smiling and have on fresh underwear and in the end, isn't that the best we can hope for? 

Comments

Popular Posts