If you don't post about it, Did it actually happen?

You've heard the comment, "If you don't post about it, it didn't happen"
Sometimes when we are having a "moment" here I reach for my phone to document it.  But the light is too low,  or the camera will ruin the "moment" I was hoping to capture.  

Last night was such a moment.


Our big 3 were away at Winter Camp this last weeekend.   They made friends and memories and really had a great time,  and they came home exhausted!  

This is the night that our sweet Daddy has decided to start a new family book! 

The fireplace is crackling in the corner of the room. The bed sheets are turned down and ready for sleeping under.  

David drapes a scarf over the light giving the whole room a warm red glow.
The room smells like my Earl Grey tea and the cinnamon pinecones my mom gave me. 

Abi is curled up half on the bed with her legs below the knee hanging off the end. She's still in her jeans and new camp hoodie with the logo on the back right shoulder.  

Trey has set himself up with the little ornamental pillows piled up under his head, laying on his tummy he says,  "I'm just going to close my eyes and listen".

Benji is sitting upright in the corner chair.  A giant owl pillow wedged between his body and the arm of the chair. 

Our daddy is fun to listen to as he reads.  He really enjoys reading so there are usually different voices and pauses for impact.  Every once in a while if something startling happens in the book he'll punctuate his reading with a quick/unexpected leg grab of whoever is closest to him.  The room is quiet except for the occasional shifting in the bed, and our daddy's voice as he narrates the first few chapters.

The book is interesting, a mystery of sorts, but 5 minutes later Abi makes a little jerk, she's falling hard into sleep and I reach out to smooth the hair off her face and she sighs softly. 

A few minutes later David is reading, and raises his voice a little for impact.  Trey who is a tender 16, reaches out a hand, in his sleep, resting it on David's shoulder.  This is it.  This is the moment that I wanted to pluck from time and keep in a file somewhere.  For the moments to come when he takes the car out for the first time alone, for the time when she is late coming home and I'm imagining the worst, for the times that I know are coming, and I'm steeling myself against.

How many more late nights will we have with these, our first born children, the ones that will outgrow us and have families of their own.... 300? 600? If it were a thousand it wouldn't be enough. 

So in lieu of a photograph, I write it all down here.
Here where I can go back, and read it over again, and remember all the precious moments in as many detail as I can gather. 



Comments

Popular Posts