Our little Mister C

Valentines day, 2015 we got the call to come pick up a baby from the Dpt. of So. Svc. He was a tiny little thing.  At 4mos old he was just 11 lbs. and still in 0-3 mo. clothing. 
We brought him home and completely fell in love with him.
He was used to sleeping in his car seat, and had a really difficult time laying flat, on his back, or his tummy.  But after a few weeks of co-sleep-training, feedings every two hours and lots of swaddle time, he began to get the hang of it. 
Therapy started almost immediately.  His little muscles in his legs and neck hadn't developed properly from all the car seat time, but eventually even that got better.  Sensory therapy has helped his circulatory system regulate and speech therapy has really helped develop an interest in being more social.

That's our latest baby.  We've had him for nearly 10months, and I wouldn't trade a single minute of it!! 
He is a joy, and it has been our absolute pleasure and privilege to be his foster family.

A week ago I received a call from his Social Worker, he was going home.  :-( 

I know, I know, this is how it works.  This is what we signed up for.  But it's NEVER easy. 
His parents have WORKED their program.  They've attended all their meetings, found housing, and rarely missed a moment with him. 
^^^All that said^^^ I knew it was coming, so I started making him a blanket.  Something he could take home with him.  Something that smelled like us, reminded him of the love and security that we provided. 

I had an idea that I loved, from this blog. 
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/paint-splatter-square
But I HATED the idea of piecing it all together. 
I have an incredibly talented aunt that quilts. She can put pieces of fabric together that will BLOW your mind, and we are so blessed to have a special quilt for each of our children that she sent us last Christmas. ANYWAY, I appreciate that kind of talent.... BUT I DO NOT POSSESS IT! ;-)

So, I loved the idea, but I am TERRRIBLE with creating a "random" holes ALL OVER a 4ft area! I tried.  I mean, I gave it a solid college try.  But no matter how valiantly I pushed ahead with the "random" idea it was just not meant to be.

I didn't follow the pattern at all, but I love how it turned out! 
The paint splatters were another matter, they "LOOKED" so much easier than they were....
(isn't that how it always goes??) 



After I had the body together I really wanted to bring it all together with a fun border.  Something colorful, and different.

I LOVE THIS LADY'S BLOG!!!! 
It's a step by step, (a million pictures worth) and so easy to read and understand!
http://notyouraveragecrochet.com/as-we-go-stripey-blanket/



Here is the final blanket.
I know he will love it, because I had to keep scooting his little fanny off of it the WHOLE time I was trying to add the paint splatters. ;-)
They were the most time consuming part of this project, but I LOVE how it turned out!
We are praying for his family, as they begin the process of coming back together, and we would really covet your prayers as well.  The house is going to be very quiet, for a while. ;-)


 

Comments

  1. Danielle, you always sew the most beautiful things! I love it!! It looks great. Reading this blog and about the "smell of your home to take with him" brigs tears to my eyes.
    Every time I leave your house I relish the smell I take with me. But I'm always so sad when it's gone.
    I love and miss you guys so much!! Now that I know you guys.. I don't want to ever be apart. If only!
    Praying for your guys and the little man. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle, I imagine that, this side of heaven, you will never know how much, exactly, you have helped that young man (that he will become) throughout his entire lifetime! In the amount of time you have had him you have most probably given him the ability to attach! What a god send you two are. I knew I couldn't do the doctor thing, I could never have given them back! In fact I am still having a difficult time giving all of my GROWN kids back to God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops...couldn't do the foster thing...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts