"Love" your friends.


It has been a day here. 

You know the kind. 

You go upstairs to the boys room and thinking you are going to help a little boy in finding a misplaced and very much loved train. 
For the sake of this story, we'll call this train, "Elimy".  
(Like "Emily" except in a deep gutteral, speech impediment)

Somewhere in the process you come to feel the tension in the room. 
It's risen from a "Geez Louise, we should probably pick up." 
to a palpable "Nothing to see here mom, time to move on."

With one hand I move the quivering 11yr old to one side, and behind him is a very innocent looking box, covered in a blanket, a bear on top and lego resting precariously on top of the little plushie's head. 

All those years of watching CSI are starting to pay off. 
I detect a deliberate staging in effect 

As I begin to uncover layer after layer of at least 2 weeks of stashing...
I.  Was.  Shocked!
Bottles of water, wrappers from candy bars, gum packaging, throat lozanges,
the list went on and on. 

A few grocery bags full of trash later, we found the trains. 
And not just the "Elimy" that we thought we were missing,  but we also found "Gordon", "Thomas", "James", and "Percy" 
(which does NOT translate well without the "r".)
2 sets of tracks, 
6 miniature bowling pins,
14 pens,
12 colored pencils,
4 coloring books,
3 backpacks,
1 pair of boots,
and
8 squishy stress balls, 
(which I can tell you weren't relieving any stress)


SO MUCH STUFF, that he actually started stashing under his brothers beds! 
After they were filled, he unzipped the window seat cushions and stuffed them too!

If it wasn't so gross, I would've laughed! 

Here's the point of this story. 

I called my mom and cried. 
My mom "loves" me well. 

I didn't need her praise for not yelling and freaking out, 
I was proud of me, but that's not why I called.
I needed her support. 

I didn't want her sympathy, that just goes in circles...
I needed her understanding.
And to that point I sent her pictures and videos. 
She understood more than just the situation, she understood me.

I didn't want her pity, 
this is NOT a party of one here. 
I needed her to be my safe place, 
my "protector" if you will, 
from my own self destructive thoughts.

So, tonight, if this is bringing anyone to mind,
"love them well". 

Make my momma proud.




Comments

Popular Posts