When Temps Go Bad




***Disclaimer***
We have loved our Pediatrician the last few years. 
His usual nurse is amazing. 
He will be retired before this post is published and the nurse we interacted with was just a temp from an agency. 

Now, with the disclaimer out of the way, 
CHECK THIS OUT!


We have 5 kidlets that have in one way or the other been exposed to some pretty horrible things, so it's no surprise that we have one with diagnosed PTSD. 
In a child under 6yrs, this can have some pretty drastic side effects. 

In the past month, this particular baby has lost weight, gone on days long hunger strikes, stopped sleeping and become a very different little man than we were used to. 

We have spoken to our therapists, friends and family members, as well as other professionals in the field. 
While everyone has been very supportive, and sweet, we all agreed that it is time to take treatment to the next level. 

Enter this hysterical interaction.

The room had Little Mermaid on the wall, and books in the corner. Two comfortable chairs within arms reach of the bed. The white paper cover made the fidget spinner we brought make a funny whispering sound. 

The nurse that came in to take the vitals had a warm smile and long curly hair. She seemed like the kind of woman I would be friends with "on the outside". 
In an effort to be friendly, she referred to me only as "Momma".

"So, Momma, what brings you in today? Just a well check? 
Do you have any concerns?"

"Oh yes, we definitely have concerns...." 
I list them off. 

"Oh Momma, now, don't you worry about his eating. I think he's probably just hit a "picky" stage.  One of my own children ate nothing but chicken nuggets for a whole year!" 

I admit, I was a little irritated. I am NOT talking about a picky stage.  I'm talking no food, no water, nothing by mouth at all until his mood improves... but I let this one go. 

"As for the weight and height, it's entirely possible that he's just going to be little, You know, one of my kids was a shorty until he hit 19, then he grew 7" in one summer!" 

My temperature was rising. David is texting me from the car asking how things are going. Have I talked to the Dr yet? 
I can't answer him.... I'm trying to decide if I'm going to need an alibi for my outburst in the next 10min. 

Deep breaths... 

Calming waves.....

I'm just about to start tapping my pressure points for relief, when she sits down next to me, and starts patting my arm. 

(Please understand, I'm usually a very touchy-feely person. 
We're huggers at our house.
But my touch meter is pegging pretty loudly right now! )

She continues to "console me", "Now Momma, you told me that you've moved him into your room to keep a closer eye on him, and keep him safe overnight. 
Don't you think that maybe you're keeping him up, 
as much as he's keeping you up?

MY JAW DROPPED. 

Literally you could hear a pin drop in the room. But to add insult to injury she says, 
"I know you are concerned that possibly he is depressed, but he looks perfectly happy to me."

I think at this point I must've blacked out. 
I remember her mumbling something about the incredible thickness of his file, and that maybe it was time to call the Dr in. 

In the hall outside there are hushed voices, but above the whispers I hear clearly, "As a nurse, I feel it is my duty to allay their fears.." 

A moment later our Dr enters the room, no nurse accompaniment.
"She is a temp. I just called a company and they sent her. But she won't be coming back in here.
Now, let's see what we can do..."

The rest of the visit was great, except for Dr announcing his retirement, all went as we expected. We are being referred to Children's Hospital for a slew of new Drs and specialties, and we are all hopeful for a clear-er direction for our little man as we learn about the effects of Lead Intoxification and Frontal Lobe damage.

My take away is where the quote from Dr Seuss comes in.

"Step with Care and Great TACT 
and remember that LIFE'S a Great
Balancing ACT"
Dr Seuss

Dr Seuss gets it. 
Every one in a while there is going to be an adult that doesn't understand your kids. 
They are going to look at them and see things that they dealt with, things that are in their "wheel house" and it's their calling to help calm you. 
Sometimes they may have a point, see something that you don't. 
Other times, THEY ARE GOING TO COMPLETELY MISS THE MARK!
And that's ok. 

Always tread with Care. 
Always seek to understand more than you seek to be understood.

Life with special needs kids is a balancing act between being an advocate for your child, and NOT being a crazy person. 

Comments

Popular Posts