Sticky molecules and itchy skin

I don't typically post medical stuff...especially about myself... But, this is kinda interesting and has turned into a big (ish) part of our lives. So here goes. A little back story, my mom had a stroke on my birthday last year, my grandpa had a stroke 6wks later and another one in June of this year. They are both recovering, doing therapies, etc, but while I was driving home from a particularly stressful dentist appointment I felt my heart fluttering. It fluttered again the next morning, and then again after dinner. My mom and my husband talked me into making an app with my Dr who happens to specialize in anything heart related! An ultrasound and a tray full of blood tests, I am healthy. Low blood pressure, low cholesterol, perfect BMI and lifestyle. However... (don't you love how I built you up for that one devastating word, "however"? That was literally how the nurse told me.) HOWEVER, there are these little molecules that are sticky and they attach themselves to healthy blood molecules and hitch a ride clean through the liver and mine are so small my liver doesn't notice them. They are called LP(a)'s. They were discovered in 2003, and the average person has a score of less than 20 per thousand, elevated and dangerous is 30per...mine is 60! Here's what medicine.net says. " Lipoprotein (a) (Lp(a)) is an LDL cholesterol particle that is attached to a special protein called apo(a). In large part, a person's level of Lp(a) in the blood is genetically inherited. Elevated levels of Lp(a) (higher than 20 mg/dl to 30 mg/dl) in the blood are linked to a greater likelihood of atherosclerosis and heart attacks in both men and women." That big word over there means blocked arteries and stroke. So... Hasn't this been a fun little medical info session? Fun. Ugh. Photobucket Here's where the itchy skin comes in. I am the proud new owner of a heart monitor! Don't I look proud?!? No? That's because these little electrodes itch like a.....son of a gun! Itch! Itch! Itch! The good news is that my Dr was hoping for 1 "event" in a month for us to catch my heart in the act...I had 2 within the first 90 min of wearing the thing. Yay! (seriously we were excited, what is wrong with us?) This little heart monitor is a TATTLE-TALE though! Every time I get excited, upset, nervous, or tongue tied in front of a cute Fire-man, (read the next blog) the little tattle starts beeping! Oh well. David calls it his "friend". David: "My "friend"said you are nervous about this class tonight, I thought you said it was going to be no biggie..." TATTLE!

Comments

  1. Lol!! Ohhh must laugh so we don't cry!! Praying the drs can get this all sorted out FAST!!!!!!! <3 Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it isn't anything too serious!!!
    love the tattle but what a BUMMER about the itching, thinking of you and waiting for your next post soon :)
    ~ Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I was going to "Like" this post, but then I thought "no, nothing to like here except your adorable sense of humor!"
    So, I dislike the medical yuck and the itchy stuff but LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts